Tuesday, October 24, 2006

My Canadian Life


by Takahiro ICHINO

First, I would like to introduce to you my impressions of Canada. Before I visited Canada I had been thinking about my relationship with people around me such as my host family, neighbors, and especially my ESL classmates. I‘ve never done a home stay and I didn’t have confidence to communicate with them. However, I didn’t need to be anxious about it because most people were very friendly and kind to me.

To my surprise, there were lots of spaces to build things in Canada, for example, houses, a mall or an amusement park. That’s why I‘m really interested in the future of Canada. And then, there was the largest mall in the world which name was West Edmonton Mall. When I saw it I was excited and I got curious about all of the shopping in the mall. I went there to get rid of stress because there were ice rink, a pool, and an amusement arcade in the mall. Besides, it was fortunately on the way to my home. It took me just 10 minutes by bus. For these reasons, I could go anytime.

Secondly, I will tell you about my ESL class. Actually, we carried out some English examinations to divide us into the groups. Fortunately, I gained good score and I was separated into the class which can speak English. When I went there I supposed it would be quite difficult to keep a good score and communicate with all of my classmates because they were older than me. Most people were university students. However, it didn’t matter about age. Let’s face it, I’d rather talk with my ESL classmates than my high school friends because I could communicate with them in English. Furthermore, they know lots of data about world news and their own countries. They had own opinion about it. That’s why I really prefer to talk with them.

Incidentally, my teacher was strict about class and assignments but she was sometimes funny. I always had lots of assignments such as presentations, observations, and lots of homework. I was doing it from 9 pm to 12:30am and from 4am to 5:30am and on the bus every day. That’s why I was too busy to communicate with host family sufficiently. However, it didn’t matter because my host family has been hosting a lot of international students every year. So they could understand me soon.

I had a really great time in Canada. Actually, I have decided to go to University of Alberta. However, I don’t have any information on how to prepare and study. So please let me know if you have any idea. Anything is all right! And I hope I can have more journalism classes to improve my English!